Permission to make alterations

About this form

Owners of former Council properties must obtain council consent before starting alterations work to or within their property. If you start or complete alterations without doing so, you will be in breach of the terms of your lease or transfer agreement.

To begin your application to obtain council consent please complete the form that follows.

To complete this form you will need a debit/credit card to make payment of the appropriate administration fee. If you do not have a debit/credit card please email the Council ( advising that you wish to make an application to obtain consent to alterations.

It will be useful if you can provide copies of the following documents (where applicable):

  • a full itemisation of works, including electrical, gas, plumbing and structural works

  • clear existing and proposed plans / elevations

  • a structural engineer’s report confirming (a) the walls to be removed are non-loadbearing or (b)
    the relevant structural calculations for loadbearing walls.
    Note: the removal of loadbearing walls is not permitted in Council owned blocks.

  • details of any Building Control, Planning Permission and / or Party Wall applications / approvals
    (if already obtained).

In addition to obtaining permission to make alterations under the terms of your lease /
transfer agreement, please note that you may also be required to obtain statutory
consents. For example:

Southwark Council will use your personal data (name, address and/or email address) to respond to your enquiry. The council requires your permission to process your data. By submitting your enquiry you authorise the council to use and store your personal data.

Your personal information will only be used to deal with your enquiry, and will be reviewed or destroyed after six years. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any point in time however please note that if you remove the consent, we may not be able to progress your request.

If you are concerned about how the council is using your data, please contact our Data Protection Officer via or on 020 7525 5000. More information about your rights is available on our website, or via the Information Commissioner.

Information about data collected via online forms

Privacy settings